FACT-CHECKS/INVESTIGATION
Kidnappers Demand ₦7 Million for Release of AAUA Staff

Gunmen who abducted Mr. Omoniyi Eleyinmi, a staff member of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko (AAUA), have demanded a ransom of ₦7 million for his release.
Mr. Eleyinmi, who serves as Faculty Officer in the university’s Faculty of Education, was seized on Sunday at his residence in Supare-Akoko, Akoko South West Local Government Area of Ondo State. Sources said the assailants had been lurking near his home and struck shortly after he returned on a commercial motorcycle. They reportedly whisked him away while firing shots into the air to scare off anyone who might intervene.
A family source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, revealed that the kidnappers first contacted the family on Thursday after allowing the victim’s wife to speak briefly with him a day earlier, confirming he was alive. The source added that the abductors had initially demanded ₦100 million, but later reduced it to ₦7 million following persistent pleas and negotiations.
In response, the Adekunle Ajasin University Alumni Association, to which Mr. Eleyinmi belongs, has launched a public appeal for donations to help secure his release. In a statement, the association’s Global Publicity Secretary, O’Seun Ogunsakin, wrote:
“Distinguished Alumni, I am sure that the majority of you must have heard the news of the kidnapping of one of us, Niyi Eleyinmi, who is the Faculty Officer of the Faculty of Education, AAUA. Eleyinmi was kidnapped on Monday, and the kidnappers have demanded a sum of seven million Naira (₦7,000,000). It is on this note that I want to passionately appeal to you to donate towards securing the safe release of Niyi from his captors.
“We have just 24 hours to raise the aforementioned sum. Kindly make your donation into the account below: Polaris Bank 1011167606 Akinwande Joyce Morenikeji. May God help us as we make the donation.”
Reacting to the incident, the Public Relations Officer of the Ondo State Police Command, DSP Olusola Ayanlade, confirmed that Commissioner of Police Adebowale Lawal had ordered tactical commanders to rescue the victim unharmed and apprehend the perpetrators.
“The Commissioner of Police has directed all tactical commanders to swiftly act and ensure that the victim is rescued. He also directed that all suspects connected with the crime be apprehended. We are assuring the people of Ondo State that we are on top of the situation, and we are not resting on our oars,” Ayanlade said.
Discover more from Naijanewstoday
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
-
NEWS5 days ago
Nwifuru’s Aide Commends Nworu’s Courageous Lagos-Abakaliki Peace Trekk
-
NEWS5 days ago
Asaga Nwali Commissions Mega Oil and Gas Facility in Ebonyi
-
FACT-CHECKS/INVESTIGATION6 days ago
Widow Arrested with Cocaine Disguised as Pregnancy — NDLEA
-
CAMPUS REPORTS7 days ago
Poly Student Stabbed to Death in Bauchi Robbery Attack
-
NEWS4 days ago
Two Suspects Arrested for Truck Hijacking and Assault in Ebonyi
-
POLITICS5 days ago
Former Lagos PDP Chairman Tunji Shelle Defects To ADC
-
POLITICS6 days ago
Enugu, Plateau Governors Absent as PDP Leaders Meet in Zamfara
-
FACT-CHECKS/INVESTIGATION4 days ago
Army Rescues 27 Abducted Passengers in Benue
-
FACT-CHECKS/INVESTIGATION7 days ago
FCT Police Smash Car Snatching Syndicate, Recover Vehicles
-
SPORTS7 days ago
Eberechi Eze Joins Arsenal From Crystal Palace
-
POLITICS7 days ago
PDP Governors Warn Wike Against Derailing November Convention
-
FACT-CHECKS/INVESTIGATION4 days ago
Delta Police Arrest Officers Caught Counting Cash in Viral Video