FOREIGN
UK Bars Israeli Government From London Arms Fair AA Tensions Grow

Britain has confirmed that Israeli government representatives will not be invited to a major arms fair in London next month, deepening a diplomatic rift between both countries over the war in Gaza.
A spokesperson for the UK Ministry of Defence said on Friday:
“We can confirm that no Israeli government delegation will be invited to attend DSEI UK 2025 in September.”
While Israeli defence companies will still be permitted to showcase their products at the biennial event, the exclusion of official representatives triggered sharp criticism from Israel, which branded the decision as discriminatory.
Israel’s defence ministry said in response:
“These restrictions amount to a deliberate and regrettable act of discrimination against Israel’s representatives. Accordingly, the Israeli Ministry of Defence will withdraw from the exhibition and will not establish a national pavilion.”
The move follows a series of measures taken by Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government in recent months, including the suspension of arms export licences to Israel for use in Gaza, the freezing of free trade talks, and sanctions against two far-right Israeli ministers.
The UK defence ministry further justified its position, stressing:
“The Israeli government’s decision to further escalate its military operation in Gaza is wrong. There must be a diplomatic solution to end this war now, with an immediate ceasefire, the return of the hostages and a surge in humanitarian aid to the people of Gaza.”
The announcement adds to growing international pressure on Israel. In June, France blocked several Israeli arms manufacturers from displaying “offensive weapons” at the Paris Air Show. Meanwhile, European Union foreign ministers are expected to meet in Copenhagen on Saturday to discuss possible new sanctions against both Israel and Hamas, with Sweden and the Netherlands already backing tougher measures.
Last month, Starmer went further, declaring that Britain would recognise a Palestinian state in September if Israel failed to agree to a truce in the Gaza conflict, which erupted after the Hamas attack on Israel in October 2023.
Discover more from Naijanewstoday
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
-
NEWS7 days ago
Ebonyi Man Begins Lagos–Abakaliki Trek in Support of Gov Nwifuru’s Peace Efforts in Effium Crisis
-
NEWS4 days ago
Asaga Nwali Commissions Mega Oil and Gas Facility in Ebonyi
-
NEWS4 days ago
Nwifuru’s Aide Commends Nworu’s Courageous Lagos-Abakaliki Peace Trekk
-
FACT-CHECKS/INVESTIGATION7 days ago
FCT Police Nab Kidnap Kingpins, Seize Guns and ₦7.4m
-
FACT-CHECKS/INVESTIGATION5 days ago
Widow Arrested with Cocaine Disguised as Pregnancy — NDLEA
-
CAMPUS REPORTS6 days ago
Poly Student Stabbed to Death in Bauchi Robbery Attack
-
FACT-CHECKS/INVESTIGATION6 days ago
Lagos Police Dissolve Tactical Squad After Viral Assault Video
-
NEWS3 days ago
Two Suspects Arrested for Truck Hijacking and Assault in Ebonyi
-
POLITICS4 days ago
Former Lagos PDP Chairman Tunji Shelle Defects To ADC
-
POLITICS5 days ago
Enugu, Plateau Governors Absent as PDP Leaders Meet in Zamfara
-
SPORTS7 days ago
Super Eagles Coach Eric Chelle Announces 31-Man Provisional Squad For 2026 World Cup Qualifiers
-
FACT-CHECKS/INVESTIGATION6 days ago
FCT Police Smash Car Snatching Syndicate, Recover Vehicles